The bridge of golden stone
printed on Giclée Epson Semi-Gloss
This beautiful bridge spanning the River Derwent on the main road to Chatsworth House was designed by James Paine (1717-1789) a successful architect of the 18th century. Based on the Roman bridge at Rimini, Italy, it was begun in 1759 and completed, for the most part, in 1761. It is constructed in sandstone and ashlar (a technique of dressing the stone), the Peak District being an important source of the sandstone known as millstone grit. This image was captured in the late afternoon, that magic moment when the sunlight becomes particularly warm. Where the slanting light has caressed the grey/brown of the stone it has afforded it a lovely golden hue. The effect is even more striking in the House in the background. The white patches on the bridge are due to the lime in the stone leaching out over many years. Look closely under the arches and you’ll see clusters of tiny lime ‘stalactites’ hanging down.